Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Promise

On Eagle's Wings has always been one of my favorite hymns.  It was one of two songs I remembered moving from private to public school in second grade.  It makes me feel very blessed to be able to sing in Mass each weekend. 

Today it was our Communion hymn.  After receiving the Blessed Sacrament I stood sat in our pew towards the back of church holding Elijah and something about the words made me think of them as a promise.  The little toddler in my arms (who was amazingly well behaved at Mass today) has no idea yet what Our Lord and the Church has in store for him. 

And it struck me that the words of On Eagle's Wings are like instructions. 

"You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord, who abide in His shadow for life, say to the Lord 'my Refuge, my Rock in whom I trust...And He will raise you up on Eagle's Wings..." 

For the first time tonight, each verse sounded to me like the Lord renewing his promise that if we call on Him and trust in Him, then He will see us through.  As we sang, I looked at Elijah and kept thinking "It's a promise, it's a promise."

No comments:

Post a Comment