Thursday, February 20, 2014

Back...Again

I don't know why keeping up regularly with this blog is so hard for me lately.  I honestly haven't even been back to this page since my last post that I remember.  But I actually do enjoy blogging and I like getting the opportunity to write more often.  So, here I am, trying again.

I'm going to start with a question for other moms and dads.  The thing is, Elijah doesn't talk.  He has a few words he'll say, mostly ours and his grandparents' names, "Elmo," and "cookie."  Those are his big ones.  He also says "Thomas," and "tractor" with some frequency.  But we really have to work to get him to use any other words.

And the thing is, he is very smart and he can talk.  He can say "downstairs," and "window," and "light," and "in," and all kinds of things.  He just never does, unless we make him.  We've started really pushing him to use more words and most of the time it just frustrates him.

I came home from work the other morning and found he and Nathan sitting in the living room, both of them looking irritated.  Nathan told me they had had a 30 minute battle of wills because he asked Elijah to say "downstairs" after he woke up before they went down to breakfast.  And Elijah would. not. do. it.  Eventually Nathan just tried to get him to say any word, any word at all and the little guy still refused.

We talked to his pediatrician about it and he mentioned it might just be because Elijah is very mellow.  He doesn't feel like he needs to talk to get what he wants.

Every day I tell him that pointing and whining to get what he wants isn't cutting it anymore and he needs to start giving us words, and he just sits down and cries.  I feel terrible. 

If anyone has had a similar experience or has any advice or ideas I'd love to hear about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment