Friday, February 21, 2014

7 Quick Takes

one--

This is the probably the second day in a couple weeks when I'm not napping during Elijah's nap time.  While I was on vacation the last week of January I finally got him to nap with me.  Normally if he gets in the bed with us he decides it's tickle time and he won't settle down.  But I discovered his weakness--Elmo.  Yeah, it wasn't too hard to figure out.  Now we watch about 15 minutes of Sesame Street, I turn it off and say "okay, nap time," and he lays right down.  It's kind of my favorite time of day now.  But I had things to do this afternoon.

two--

Something about turning two has made Elijah much more cuddly than he used to be.  These days before he goes down for bed at night I sit in the chair in his room and hold him and we tickle and talk for a while before he goes to bed.  He thinks if he doesn't give me a goodnight kiss, it means I can't put him down, so when I ask for one now he always says, "no."

three--

I've been trying to read Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila recently.  I got to the beginning of the chapter on the fourth mansion when I had to put it down because I was having trouble really absorbing what she was saying.  That happens sometimes when I read nonfiction, I get to a point where I have to take a break.  I picked it up again the other day and I can't seem to get back into it.  I think I need to stick more to stories about the lives of saints for a little longer before I can get into anything denser.

four--

Can you tell he was excited to play outside, finally?  Now if I could only get him to wear his boots.

five--

We watch a lot of Thomas and Friends here...a lot, it's little boy's favorite show.  Nathan and I can't help but be puzzled by a few things: 
  • First of all, with the trains going off the rails so frequently or upending cars of various, usually sticky, things, why do people live on the Island of Sodor? It seems more dangerous than it's worth.
  • Also, why do they keep giving jobs to Thomas?  He never listens and always has to do everything again.  If I were Sir Topham Hatt, I would just kind of let him do his own thing.
  • We can't help but be a little worried for the engine drivers.  They just kind of go along for the ride while the engines get into  all kinds of trouble.
Elijah doesn't seem to pick up on any of these concerns.

six--
I cannot make myself get into Downton Abbey this year.  I don't know why.  I love the show and I watched the first 30 minutes of the first episode but ever since then every time I think I'll sit down and watch it, I turn into a 6 year old whining,  "I don't want to," to myself.  It's probably because Nathan won't watch it with me.  Instead we watch Sherlock, Raising Hope, and I honestly don't know how many times in the last month we've watched Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, but I'm pretty sure it's getting close to 10.  Seriously, I love the "Bad Horse Chorus."

I better get over this by the time Call the Midwife starts, because I really want to watch that and I know Nathan won't watch it with me.

seven--

Keep Nathan's cousin and his family in your prayers, they're taking a mission trip to Kenya for three weeks.

For more seven quick takes check out Conversion Diary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment