Friday, April 19, 2013

The Great Dilemma

We've been really lucky so far to keep Elijah out of daycare.  Ever since I went back to work I've been on second shift and our dads who both work from home have been good enough to watch him for us.  It's been so nice knowing he's with family, well looked after, and loved.

It also created a pretty neat bond between him and the grandfathers.  Nathan's dad goes by "Pop Rice" with the grandkids and my dad is "Grandpa."  Elijah has tried to say those two words before most others.  He loves his grandmother's also, of course, but his grandfathers are his buddies.

We always knew we would not be able to impose on them forever, though.  And now my father-in-law is getting ready for planting season and my dad has his own things going on.  So it's time to start looking for daycare.  There are other reasons as well.  I try not to be, because everyone always says he'll do it when he wants, but I really am concerned about his not walking.  I'm hoping putting him with other kids closer to his age will encourage him to do what they are doing.

And I think he could use the socialization in general.  He needs to get to know other people than just Mama, Daddy, and his grandparents.

We are lucky that it won't be full time.  My 3-11 hours from Thursday to Monday mean he only has to be watched for about 3 hours 3 days a week.  Our parents, who actually do enjoy watching him, are going to alternate one day a week, so really, he only has to be in care two days a week.

Still, it bothers me to think of leaving him with someone who isn't family.  We don't know much about the world of day care.  What we do know is that we don't want him in a "center;" we'd rather he stayed with someone in a private residence who only watches a few other kids.  I thought about getting a babysitter or nanny to just come to our house, but then he wouldn't get the socialization.

Pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment